resume writing banner

Friday, September 25, 2009

Oops Major HTML Coding Blunder

Ok I’m officially embarrassed. At some point in the distant past the page templates I created for the former site which I’m finalizing the transition over to the new site, all html header information shared the same format. Turns out, I somehow wound up with a hybrid page type definition. In short, I coded the site in HTML 4.01 Transitional/EN, but somehow I had the 1.0 version definition that you would find in an XHTML doctype.

Mistake: !doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

Should Be: !doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

I have noticed my traffic and page ranking has been rather lower then expected. But as I move over the content to the new site it should fix any of these issues. During this process I’m recoding each page to have all the header information in a .php script so if needed I can modify just a few master files for the entire site. Cheers all.

No comments:

Post a Comment